Student Privacy Notice
The categories of student (and prospective student) information that we collect, hold and share include:
- Details about yourself including your name, Unique Learner Number, date of birth and gender;
- Contact details including address, telephone number and email address
- Details of your previous qualifications, employment and educational history
- Information about your nationality and residency, and previous address if applicable
- Information about medical or health conditions, including whether or not you have a learning disability or difficulty
- Household information
- Attendance information (such as sessions attended, number of absences and absence reasons)
- Progress information (how well you are doing with your course)
- We collect data about criminal convictions in order to protect vital interests of others and in order to carry out our duty to support those with a conviction.
- We collect parent / carer details for those under 18 at the start of the academic year under in order to support our duty to support the education and learning as fully as possible.
Why we collect and use this information:
We collect and process personal data relating to the College’s students to effectively manage their learning and to meet statutory obligations as a Further Education and Higher Education College. Riseholme College is committed to being transparent about information it collects and uses, and to meet its general data protection regulation (GDPR) obligations.
We use student data to:
- Process applications, including sending relevant marketing materials relating to your application, such as event reminders and joining instructions
- Support learning
- Monitor and report on progress
- Provide appropriate pastoral care
- Assess the quality of our services
- Comply with the law regarding data sharing.
How is this collected?
Most of the information above is collected directly from yourself via an application or enrolment form. However, some information such as previous qualifications, or special needs, may be collected from other organisations such as the Department for Education (DfE), the Local Education Authority, or your previous school.
Where we store data:
Data will be stored in a range of different places, including student information management systems, on paper in stored secure places, or on electronic documents within a secure network.
The lawful basis on which we use this information:
As part of General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), Riseholme College needs to process data so we can provide you with the highest standards of education and training we are able to give, and to meet its legal obligations from government organisations including the DfE and the Office for Students. Data regarding employment status and benefits is required to assess your eligibility for fee remission or support.
Where the organisation processes other special categories of personal data, such as information about ethnic origin, disability or health, this is done for the purposes of equal opportunities monitoring and monitor our service provision to improve our services to specific groups. We also use the data so we can personalise the provision to each student to provide them with the best possible opportunities to succeed. Any information that has been supplied under the lawful basis of consent, consent can be withdrawn at any time, by contacting the data protection officer.
Contact details will not be used for marketing or survey purposes without your consent, which can be withdrawn at any time. However the college will use the contact information to contact you in order to carry out our duties to you, for example to notify you of a change of course date, and also to obtain data where legally required, such as destination surveys.
The organisation shares your data with third parties where there is a legal or contractual obligation, including the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), Office for Students (OfS), Learner Records Service (LRS), awarding bodies, validating universities and local authorities.
Who has access to data?
Your information may be shared internally, including with any Riseholme College staff who need the data to provide services to students. This will include special categories of data where appropriate.
Where Riseholme College engages non-statutory third parties to process personal data on its behalf, we require them to do so on the basis of written instructions, are under a duty of confidentiality and are obliged to implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure the security of data.
The organisation shares your data with third parties where there is a legal obligation, including the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), OfS, Learner Records Service (LRS) and local authorities.
Further details can be found from gov.uk for Further Education students and from Office for Students for Higher Education students.
University of Hull
If you apply and enrol on to a programme validated by the University of Hull, the following information will be shared with the University and updated on a regular basis. In order to record students on the University system so that award certificates can be issued, the University requires that students give the necessary consent to at enrolment, and are made explicitly aware of, the data sharing that will take place.
Data Processor: University of Hull, Cottingham Road, Hull, HU6 7RX, England.
Types of data being shared/processed: title, name, date of birth, gender, home address, postcode, telephone number and email address.
Purpose of the processing: to record you on the University’s student information system for the purposes of issuing an identification card and award certificate.
Duration of the processing: in accordance with the University’s Retention Policy.