BTEC Level 3 in Sport
Duration: One or two years, depending on study route
What You Study
Students on the sport course at Bishop Burton College will study the following units as well as having the opportunity to gain industry-specific additional qualifications, depending on their chosen career pathway.
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Fitness Training and Programming
- Practical Sports Performance
- Sports Leadership and Coaching
- Professional Development in the Sports Industry
- Application of Fitness Testing
- Development and Provision of Sport
- Investigating Business
- Skill Acquisition
- Research Methods
- Sports Injury
- Sports Massage
- Outdoor Adventurous Activities.
Four GCSEs at grade 4 or equivalent, preferably including English and Maths, or a relevant BTEC Level 2 qualification. A satisfactory reference is also needed.
A range of qualifications options are available, dependent on your qualifications.
- One-year Extended Certificate, including English and Maths.
- One-year Foundation Diploma
- Two-year Diploma, including English and Maths.
- Two-year Extended Diploma.
Students are expected to find a suitable one-week placement in the sports industry. As a college, we have a wide selection of placements for the students to contact ranging from professional sports teams to national fitness organisations and local leisure centres.
How You're Assessed
Students are assessed using a variety of methods, including presentations, written reports, exams, role plays, voice recordings, video presentations, practical sessions, observations and posters.
Students who successfully complete this course can go on to study the subject at degree-level.
By choosing to study our BTEC Level 3 in Sport you will be ready for a wide range of careers. More specifically, our pathway options can lead you to the following careers:
- Elite Sports Coach
- Sports Development Officer
- Director of Sport (Education)
- Primary Sports Teacher
- Secondary PE Teacher
- College / University Lecturer
- Sports Analyst
- Sports Bio-Mechanics Analyst
- Sports Coaching Company Owner
- Social Work
- Sports Inclusion Officer
- Sports Official
- Sports Reporter / Broadcaster
- Gym Instructor
- Personal Trainer
- Strength and Conditioner (Elite Level)
- Sports Therapist
- Physiotherapist (Elite and NHS)
- Sports Masseuse
- Sports Nutritionist (Elite and NHS)
- Dance Instructor
- Exercise Referral (NHS)
Physiotherapy / Sports Rehabilitation Pathway
- Physiotherapist (Elite Clubs)
- Physiotherapist (NHS)
- Physiotherapist (Private)
- Sports Rehabilitator
- Masseuse (sports massage)
- Exercise Referral (NHS and Private)
Students require suitable footwear for both indoor and outdoor activities, such as trainers and football boots. College sport kit is available for students to purchase from our online shop.
How To Apply
Application is through our online application form or by the Common Application Process (CAP).