This practical course meets the needs of students who want to work in catering and hospitality. It covers a wide range of cookery skills and techniques, as well as current industry practice, to make sure you are fully prepared to pursue your chosen career.
- Food safety
- Meat, poultry, fish, shellfish, fruit and vegetable preparation and cookery
- Desserts and puddings
- Breads and bakery products
- Pasta, rice and grains
- Healthy foods and special diets
- Catering operations, costs and menu planning
- Skills for employment in catering and hospitality
- English and Maths, as required.
One year full-time, normally in college three days a week.
In the UK there are well over 100,000 hospitality and catering businesses employing a workforce of more than one million people. The industry is made up of many different sectors including contract catering, event catering, visitor attractions, holiday parks, cruise liners, pubs, bars and nightclubs – as well as restaurants and hotels.
Share this course
Four GCSEs at grade 3 or D or equivalent, preferably including English and Maths, or a Level 1 qualification in a related subject. A satisfactory reference is also needed.