This is a broad-based course for those with a passion for working with crops or livestock. It combines theory and practical work to fully equip you for the world of work. A range of study pathways over one or two years are available to suit your needs.
- Soil and plant science (external exam)
- Professional Working Responsibilities (externally set assessment)
- Contemporary issues in the land based Sector (externally set assessment)
- Agricultural Business Improvements
- Estate skills
- Livestock production
- Crop production
- Sheep and beef production
- Root crop and field vegetable production
- Machinery operations
- Work experience
- Additional learning goals e.g. volunteering / competency tests.
- English and Maths, as required.
We offer a range of pathways to study over one or two years, depending on your qualifications.
- Extended Certificate (one year)
- Foundation Diploma (one year)
- Diploma (two year)
- Extended Diploma (two year).
One or two years full-time, depending on study route. Three days per week normally in college and one day in work placement.
Students can go on to study Agriculture at degree-level at Riseholme College or Bishop Burton College.
Work on a farm in a supervisory role, managing staff on an arable and livestock farm, as a livestock procurement manager, livestock and crop specialist, agricultural policy analyst and many more.
Four GCSEs at grade 4 or equivalent, preferably including English and Maths, or a relevant BTEC Level 2 / First Diploma. A satisfactory reference is also needed.
BTEC Level 3 in Agriculture
Lucy grew up on the family farm, which is owned by her parents and includes a beef suckler herd.
Q: What do you like about Riseholme College?
A: I enjoy the outside practical activities. Also, the staff all treat you like a grown up and are very helpful.
Q: What is the best thing about your course?
A: I really like the friendly atmosphere on the course and I get on well with the other students.
Q: What are your hopes for the future?
A: I will be looking to get a job in the agriculture industry after this course and hope to progress from there to a senior position.